Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jean Froissart - Le Ballade

Jean Froissart, French c. 1337 – c. 1405, best known for writing the Chronicles detailing the first half of the Hundred Years War. Le Ballade is Froissart's paean to the daisy, in French "Marguerite".

Froissart was a contemporary of Chaucer. Froissart's language, like Chaucer's, is difficult to read and translate. Help if you can.



SUS toutes flours tient on la rose à belle,
Et, en après, je croi, la violette.
La flour de lys est belle, et la perselle;
La flour de glay est plaisans et parfette;

Et li pluisour aiment moult l’anquelie;
Le pyonier, le muget, la soussie,
Cascune flour a par li sa merite.
Mès je vous di, tant que pour ma partie:

Sus toutes flours j’aimme la Margherite.

Car en tous temps, plueve, gresille ou gelle,
Soit la saisons ou fresce, ou laide, ou nette,
Ceste flour est gracieuse et nouvelle,
Douce et plaisans, blancete et vermillette;

Close est à point, ouverte et espanie;
Jà n’i sera morte ne apalie
Toute bonté est dedens li escripte,
Et pour un tant, quant bien g’i estudie:

Sus toutes flours j’aimme la Margherite.

Mès trop grant duel me croist et renouvelle
Quant me souvient de la douce flourette;
Car enclose est dedens une tourelle,
S’a une haie au devant de li fette,

Qui nuit et jour m’empeche et contrarie;
Mès s’Amours voelt estre de mon aye
Jà pour creniel, pour tour ne pour garite
Je ne lairai qu’à occoision ne die:

Sus toutes flours j’aimme la Margherite.
Of all the flowers, prettiest is the rose,
Next, I think, the violet.
Pretty too is the iris, and the parsley;
The glay, pleasant and perfect;
 
And most pleasing the droppings of the bell flower;
The peony, lily of the valley, the marigold,
Every flower has its merit.
Yet I will tell you, for my part:

Of all the flowers, I love the daisy.

Because at all times, rain, fog or snow,
Should the seasons be fresh, uncomely, or clear
This flour is graceful and new
Sweet and pleasant, white and vermillion;

Closed it is small, open expansive;
Never dying never pale ???
All that is good is written within,
And for all, as well I have studied:

Above all the flowers I love the daisy.

Too grand  a duel to think to renew
As I remember the sweet flower,
Because enclosed within is a tower,
Before which is made a hurdle,

Who night and day thwarts me;
Love to me would be ????
Ere from its window, to wander ne'er to guard
For ere will I write or say: ????

Of all the flowers I love the daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment